Fox News anchor Bill O’Reilly, who’s had the number one rated cable news show for over 20 years, just received devastating news from his network after going on an unexpected vacation last week.
O’Reilly has come under fire recently after allegations of misconduct at the workplace caused him to settle outside of court with several women for over $10 million combined. Leftist activist groups pressured advertisers to drop their ads from his prime time slot weeknights on Fox News, and now they’ve scored what may be one of their biggest victories against the network.
The Daily Mail is reporting that sources close to the situation claim that O’Reilly is being given the boot by Fox. Apparently, Rupert Murdoch’s sons, who have been trying to oust O’Reilly for some time, finally convinced their father to make the move amid the controversy surrounding the host.
More from the Daily Mail:
New York reports that Rupert Murdoch has decided to terminate the network’s most popular host in the wake of a recent wave of sexual harassment allegations and that the decision will be announced before he returns from vacation next week.
Rupert reportedly made this decision after being pressured by his two sons Lachlan and James according to sources.
Fox News did not respond to a request for comment.
O’Reilly, who recently signed a multiyear contract worth over $20million a year, was halfway around the world on Wednesday, meeting Pope Francis in Vatican City.
Executives at Fox News are reportedly discussing the best way to sever ties with O’Reilly ahead of a 21st Century Fox board meeting on Thursday, during which O’Reilly is expected to be the primary talking point.
Fox News staffer reportedly felt that O’Reilly would be staying on last week, but Rupert is said to have had a change of heart after speaking with his two sons.
James had wanted O’Reilly out from the start while Lachlan was on the fence.
Lachlan then reportedly changed his mind on the matter when his wife convinced him that O’Reilly had to go.
Eric Bolling, Dana Perino, and Tucker Carlson are reportedly in talks to replace O’Reilly, with Fox News hoping to debut their new host on this Monday.
The network may also opt to move The Five into the primetime lineup.
The news comes on the heels of activist lawyer Lisa Bloom coming forward with an anonymous woman claiming O’Reilly made racially insensitive remarks to her years ago while she had a desk near his. The unidentified black woman accuses O’Reilly of saying “hot chocolate” whenever she would walk by him.
For what it’s worth, O’Reilly’s attorneys said they have irrefutable evidence that the smear campaign against him is being orchestrated by a left-wing activist group.
Marc E Kasowitz, attorney for Bill O’Reilly said in a statement: ‘Bill O’Reilly has been subjected to a brutal campaign of character assassination that is unprecedented in post-McCarthyist America.
‘This law firm has uncovered evidence that the smear campaign is being orchestrated by a far-left organization bent on destroying O’Reilly for political and financial reasons.
‘That evidence will be put forth shortly and is irrefutable.’
An earlier statement from O’Reilly’s lawyer said: ‘It is outrageous that an allegation from an anonymous person about something that purportedly happened a decade ago is being treated as fact, especially when there is an obviously orchestrated campaign by activists and lawyers to destroy Mr. O’Reilly and enrich themselves through publicity driven donations.’
Whether or not that’s the case remains to be seen, but one thing is for certain; this move is not going to go well for Fox News. We live in a society in which we’re innocent until proven guilty, and the network capitulating to people treating unproven allegations as fact will more than likely cost them a lot of viewers, especially in the increasingly hostile environment being created by America’s left.